2018 sees an all new Australian Tattoo Series, more categories, more entrants, more points and more ways to win!
The Australian Tattoo series will span 4 Rounds of the Australian Tattoo Expo Circuit and the artist with the most accumulative points at the end of round 4 will take home the grand cash prize of $10,000.
Categories & Point Distribution:
The Australian Tattoo Series now includes ALL individual exhibiting artist categories.
Friday Categories – 8PM:
Best Oriental – 5PTS
Best Polynesian – 5PTS
Best Dots and Lines – 5PTS
Best Traditional – 5PTS
Small Colour (Less than 20cm) – 5PTS
Small Black & Grey (Less than 20cm) – 5PTS
Runner Up Tattoo of the Day Friday – 5PTS
Tattoo of the Day Friday – 8PTS
Saturday Categories – 8PM:
Best Neo Traditional – 5PTS
Large Colour (Greater than 20cm) – 5PTS
Large Black & Grey (Greater than 20cm) – 5PTS
Best Realistic Portrait (Photo Reference) – 5PTS
Best Lettering/Script – 5PTS
Runner Up Tattoo of the Day Saturday – 5PTS
Tattoo of the Day Saturday – 8PTS
Sunday Categories – 4PM:
Best Freehand – 5PTS
Best Sleeve (Leg or Arm) – Not eligible for Points.
Best Collaboration Tattoo – Not eligible for Points.
Best Realism – 5PTS
Runner Up Tattoo of the Day Sunday – 5PTS
Tattoo of the Day Sunday – 8PTS
Runner up Best Multi-Day Tattoo (2+ Days) – 5PTS
Best Multi-Day Tattoo (2+ days) – 8PTS
Tattoo of the Show (Only TOTD’s & Multi-Day Winners elligible) – Additional 2PTS
Please take a moment to read through the new rules and guidelines for the 2018 Australian Tattoo Series. If you are unsure of how these changes effect you or you would like more clarification, please email [email protected]
– Artists are now only allowed to enter ONE niche category and Tattoo of the Day each day of the event. For example: You may enter Best Neo-Traditional and Tattoo of the Day on Saturday, but not Neo-Traditional, Large Colour and Tattoo of the Day.
– There is no longer a cap to how many tattoos can be entered by one artist in a single category.
– Entries per category have now been capped at 30 Entries, once the category is full there will be no more entries accepted.
Healed VS Fresh Tattoos:
– If the first place tattoo is HEALED, it is not eligible for Tattoo Series Points but will win the Event Trophy. The next tattoo in order of points that is FRESH will win the Tattoo Series Points for that category.
– If first place tattoo is FRESH, it is eligible for Tattoo Series Points and will receive the Skateboard trophy and the Tattoo Series Points.
– Only Exhibiting Artist’s Tattoos can be entered into the 2018 Tattoo Competitions, the only exception is the open category, Tattoo of Sydney 2018 where anyone can enter and is eligible to win the Category Trophy.
Tattoo of the Day:
– Tattoo of the Day entries MUST be started and finished on the day of that category, no exceptions.
– Collaborations can not be entered into Tattoo of the Day.
– Healed work can not be entered into Tattoo of the Day.
– Tattoos done over more than one day can not be entered into Tattoo of the Day.
– Tattoo of the Day entries must be entered/registered
– A Tattoo Official will be on-site to monitor all TOTD Entries.
– Best Multi Day entries MUST be completed over 2 or more days at the event.
– Best Multi Day entries MUST be started and finished at the expo, no exceptions.
– Collaborations can not be entered into Best Multi-Day.
– Healed work can not be entered into Best Multi-Day.
– Tattoos completed in one day can not be entered into Best Multi-Day.
– A Tattoo Official will be on-site to confirm the tattoos duration.
– Not eligible for Tattoo Series Points.
– Can be completed over Multiple Days.
– There is no longer a cap on how many artists can contribute to a collaboration to be eligible to win.
Best Small / Large Colour & Black and Grey
– All entries in Small Colour and Small Black and Grey will now be measured by a 20cm X 20cm Template that the tattoo must fit within. If it does not fit it will be moved to the Large alternative category.
Best Realistic Portrait:
– A photo reference must be supplied on-stage for Best Realistic Portrait.
– No manipulated images or photoshopped designs are eligible in this category, they will be eligible in Best Realism.
– A photo of the empty canvas must be taken and time-stamped prior to commencing the Freehand Tattoo.
– Best Freehand Tattoo must be started and finished at the expo, no exceptions.
– No pre-existing line work or stencils can be used.
– A Tattoo Official will be on-site to confirm the tattoo is freehand.
– Any tattoo found not to be following the rules will be disqualified at the line by a Tattoo Official or Official Judge on-stage.
– If a tattoo is disqualified there is no refund of the entry costs.
– Any artists found exploiting the rules or loopholes will be disqualified from the points series and is not eligible for any points throughout the Australian Tattoo Expo circuit but is still eligible to win trophies at future events for that year.